Sunday, June 1, 2014

Moving-ish In-ish


Don’t tell my mom, but I’m allergic to bunnies.

I’ve actually known that for a while. And really, I’m mostly allergic to their food (timothy hay) and their loose fur. And the dust they create.

So as we’ve been packing at home and preparing to move, we’ve had a very important rule: If Adam is going to pack things near the rabbits (which I can’t do, due to said allergies), it needs to be at night so I can bath and go upstairs to bed right away.

Well, a few days ago, Adam forgot our rule. He’s out of school now, so he’s home all day. While the girls were doing afternoon nap, I was sitting by the TV, sorting papers. I didn’t pay attention to what Adam was doing, until I started sneezing and rubbing my very itchy eyes.

It turned out that Adam had been using that time to clean and pack by the bunnies, and he neglected to mention it to me so that I could leave the room. So I went to the bathroom, took a bath, washed my face, changed my clothes, and…… Nothing. Still sneezing. Still rubbing some very red, itchy eyes. So I left the house for the evening, since it was skate night anyway. At the skating rink, people were very concerned that I had been crying. Or doing something not legal that I don’t ever do, which they know. And I was still rubbing my eyes and sneezing.

The next day, we had to go to Lincoln for Adam’s Bright Lights class. And we spent the whole day out of the house. Didn’t help at all. Still had terrible allergies.

On Saturday, we went into town for lunch, got groceries, and played in the park. Still didn’t help make things better.

By Sunday, I realized we had two choices. Either I spend every minute of every day out of the house until the allergies clear up (which, at the current rate, was the foreseeable future) or I could start sleeping at the new house and maybe be able to breathe and look normal again. So we decided to do one big push and move a lot of stuff daily use type stuff over to the new house and start sleeping there some. It was a very busy day. And, luckily, my parents were around to help with the girls while we scrambled around to get things sorted and organized.

So we’re not necessarily “settled in” now, but it’s workable. Maybe by this time next week, my face will not be swollen and red. And maybe I will be able to go more than five minutes without a tissue. That would be really great.

Also, maybe it’s okay to be optimistic, because we finished unloading things before the rain started, and after the rain, we saw a beautiful rainbow out the picture window. We can call that a good sign, right? I hope so.




No comments:

Post a Comment